Friday, May 25, 2012

CR Sports: Ads on Jerseys

The writers of Conflict Revolution are nothing if not well read, so it should come as no surprise that they each happened to come across the same, very interesting article on an idle lunch break last week.  What would come as more of a surprise is if they drew the same, very interesting conclusions.  See what happens as Matt and Steve talk ads on Americans sports jerseys (it could be a real thing) below:


Stephen: Matt, a friend sent me this link today:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7929649/when-see-ads-american-jerseys

So I have a few questions for you:

1) What do you think about putting ads on sports jerseys?
2) Do you think this will happen?
3) Do you think it hasn't yet for the reasons he argues?

Matt: I read this article on my lunch break today, and I'm actually more curious what you think, as the more ardent free market advocate but also sports traditionalist (or so I thought).  To your questions - in reverse order:

3) Absolutely.  As Americans we love progress, but the flip side is that we cling to our last bastions of tradition, from the national parks to unadulterated sports jerseys.  I remember when the Spiderman 2 bases caused an uproar in baseball in 2004 and I think the sponsors-on-jerseys movement has a lot to get around before it becomes a reality. 

2) For the reasons I just outlined, I'm skeptical.  If it happens, though, it will probably be in the order the author suggested: the NBA doesn't care, the NHL just wants money/fans, and if ads on jerseys are successful in two of our four major sports, we'll see a domino effect in the other two. 

1) I respect the free market imperative, but I'm coming down on the side of tradition.  I mean, is nothing sacred?  Are we all consigned to a future no one really wants in this case, just because it will make some people a lot of money?  I understand that the latter point will probably tip the scales, but I think his argument about this "leveling the playing field" by cutting down on individual player endorsements is bullsh*t.  Level the playing field for who?  The teams?  The league, so it can be more about money?  Mark my words, the $300 mil annual figure that is cited by the author will never be seen by the fans.  You could argue that more revenue for teams would lower ticket prices, but I find that slightly absurd.  Realistically players will just demand more money and owners will just get richer.

Stephen: I come down hard on the side of tradition.

3) Maybe I misread, but I thought he was arguing that it wasn't clinging to traditions that really kept it out. I agree, I think it's tradition that does keep ads off jerseys

2) Also agree, the NBA has probably the least tradition out of the bunch with the NHL struggling to earn more profits. MLB, I think, would find it hardest since it lacks political capital with its fans over the recent performance enhancing drugs issues. The NFL, too, I think will struggle since it places such a serious emphasis on its myths. Ultimately, I don't think MLB or the NFL does it 

1) I'd argue that the money to be gained is much more minimal than it seems. Jersey sales probably decline, especially for new players. I mean go to Yankee Stadium and tell me what you think the ratio of legends to current stars are out there. I'd guess that it's 2-1 people in Yankee legends jerseys (I'll let you decide if Jeter and Rivera belong this point in the Yankee legends category). And then there is viewership. Baseball, would likely permanently alienate the traditionalists who I'd argue are likely the best fans, especially for a struggling franchise. So ultimately, I think there's a lot less money at stake then it seems. Finally, if it was opposed as hard as I think it would be, it's going to be a PR nightmare, which would likely sour more fans. Just think how damaging lock outs get for fan opinion of the sport. I think it's worthwhile to point out that most innovations in American sports have come well after the fans largely got on board (I'm talking all the use of replay- most casual fans strongly support getting the call right). 

Matt: Very interesting point I think about baseball having the most to lose.  Most of baseball's core fans at this point are either older traditionalists, or younger fans raised on the same nostalgia for the game.  Ads in jerseys are a fact of life in European and International club soccer at this point.  But I just can't see it happening in baseball without some serious damage done to MLB's brand.  Of course, as you mentioned, that also negatively affects how much money it would actually make.  The question is - do the leagues take the plunge for the immediate payoff, which is undeniable, in the hopes that the fans eventually come around? 

Stephen: Yea that's a tough question, do the fans come around. Also something to point out is how much marginal utility will coors get from being on the Rockies jerseys vs the ads they have for every commercial break (which in the MLB do you want to say happens like every 5-10 minutes on average? A half inning longer than 45 minutes is rare). Soccer doesn't have that same kind of as penetration (which I'd wager is partially why it put ads on jerseys).  

Matt: That's an excellent point, since soccer never goes to commercial except during halftime. They have ads all around the stadium but the need is still greater. Baseball, basketball, and football all cut to commercials frequently, with manufactured pauses (tv timeouts) in both basketball and football. If any American sport needed it I would actually think by these standards it would be hockey, which goes to commercial more rarely. 

Stephen: Yea I agree. And hockey is probably the most desperate for cash and least likely to see a real "tradition" push back, except for maybe basketball.  

Matt: If anything, hockey might get some backlash on tradition from the Canadian fans, but their teams play in an American league alongside teams like the Nashville Predators and (no offense) Tampa Bay Lightning, who have comparatively little hockey history to get worked up over.

Stephen: But the Tampa Bay Lightning have a sweat Tesla coil in their stadium.  

Matt: In the future, they will be the Tesla Lightning, and there will be a new Tesla automobile model of the same name.  Someone page Gary Bettman.  Real opportunities for the NHL here.   

Matt and Stephen generally find rare areas of agreement around sports, but what do you think?  Will we see ads on American jerseys?  Is this a good thing?  Is it inevitable?  Should we try to fight it?  In the future, will robots rule the world?  Sound off on Conflict Revolution's proverbially neglected sounding board, the comments section...

1 comment:

  1. Hey I haven't been on here in a minute so maybe you're doing this a lot but just wanted to throw out my two cents and say that I really like this format. Quick back and forths are cool. Or maybe I'm just leaving the article with a happy feeling because everyone got along! idk

    ReplyDelete